Albany is on the south coast of Western Australia. Albany is a deepwater port. A cool city with a Mediterranean climate. Albany was settled in 1826 and the first settlement in Western Australia.
Major Edmund Lockyer named the new settlement Frederickstown after Frederick Augustus, Duke of York and Albany, the second son of King George III. In 1831, the name was changed to Albany.
Albany Farmers Market
Albany Farmers Market is a weekly marketplace featuring more than 25 stalls. This market sells seasonal products derived mainly from Great Southern Area of Western Australia. The success of this weekly market is due to its diversified services.
Anglican Church of St. John the Evangelist
The Anglican Church of St. John the Evangelist was the first church in Western Australia to be consecrated. It was started in 1845, but not completed until 1848, when the first clergyman arrived.
On the foreshore is a replica of the brig Amity which brought the first settlers to Western Australia.
The start of this 963 km track to Perth
One of the most unusual features of Albany is Dog Rock. Viewed from one side, the rock looks exactly like the head of a dog and from the other side, however, it looks like a rock.
The Residency Museum was originally constructed in the 1850s as the Commissariat and store. It became the Government Residency in 1873 and was used for that purpose until 1953.
Patrick Taylor’s Cottage
Patrick Taylor’s Cottage, is probably the oldest building in Albany. It was built in 1832 to 1833 and sold to Patrick Taylor in 1835. The cottage is now a museum.
Torndirrup National Park
A coastal national park with granite cliffs, sandy beaches and a number of rock features called The Gap and the Natural Bridge.
Whaleworld is at the site of the former Whaling Station, which was Australia’s last commercial whaling operation and is twenty kilometres from the city centre.